Mar 7, 2013 / 7:47 am
Flames gutted a home along highway 97 in Peachland this morning, forcing the lone occupant out onto the street with no time to even put shoes on his feet.
“We got the initial call at 7:01 a.m. that passerby’s on the highway saw some arcing in the wires,” says Peachland Fire Chief Grant Topham.
“At 7:05 a.m. we got a call from dispatch that there was flames coming from a house. The flames at that time were coming out the window and slightly through the roof – probably around 10 feet by that time.”
The resident did however manage to grab a valuable painting on his way out the door.
“It’s a shock… I’m just shocked,” says Dave Tyson, who was able to exit the burning building relatively unharmed.
“I can’t believe I was only able to get one thing out. I went back, but it was so smoky, I couldn’t go back to get anything else out.”
Although sparks were seen coming from the wires above the home, the cause of the fire is still undetermined.
The resident will be put in the care of emergency services and does have home insurance.
Highway 97 was also closed for a short time while crews dealt with the flames.
-- With files from Jennifer Zielinski and Trevor Rockliffe.
Peachland Fire Gallery March 7
Read more Central Okanagan articles
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Summerland school hits the final frontier May 9
- High water warning May 8
- Mudd, Sweat & Tears 2013 May 4
- Rising mercury = rising water May 3
- New school envisioned for Lake Country May 3