Mar 5, 2013 / 4:01 pm
A Kelowna swimmer has shattered a two-year-old provincial swimming record.
Josh Zakala, 14, a member of the Kelowna AquaJets Swim Club, shaved nearly two seconds off the record in the 400 individual medley at a swim meet over the weekend in Victoria.
Zakala finished in a time of 4:34:20. The previous record of 4:36:09 was established at the same meet two years ago.
He also shaved nearly five seconds off his previous best time set two weeks ago at the Western Canadian Championships in Saskatoon.
"It was a very well executed race by Josh," says AquaJets head coach Pate Wilkins.
"We hadn't talked about going after the record but I think we both knew each other was thinking about it."
Along with the BC record Zakala also established six club age group records in winning seven medals at the Victoria meet (one gold, five silver and one bronze).
He also became the fastest AquaJet of any age to swim the 1500 metre freestyle.
Eleven other members of the AquaJets also took part in the Victoria meet.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- TFC trades goalkeeper Stefan Frei, re-signs Joe Bendik
- Jets hope to snap 3-game home losing skid vs. Blues
- Senators look to consistent Clarke MacArthur vs. Buffalo
- Hockey Night Online: NHL salary cap going up
- Kings find Quick fix ahead of Canadiens matchup
- NFL headshots not going away, study finds
- Leafs' Dion Phaneuf suspended 2 games for Miller hit
- Ex-Blue Jay Rajai Davis joins Tigers: reports
- Jarome Iginla returns to Calgary
- U.S. figure skater Evan Lysacek won't compete at Sochi Olympics
- Winnipeg to host outdoor NHL game in 2016
- Eddie Lack Attack: 31 saves in shutout
(Click for RSS instructions.)