Mar 4, 2013 / 5:44 pm
An impaired driver who crashed his truck into a pole, lost the left front tire and continued driving onto a Victoria highway with sparks flying from the rim also seems to have lost his memory.
As the 911 switchboard lit up with callers, some of whom were following the man until police arrived, the man pulled off the Pat Bay Highway and parked on the sidewalk.
When police arrived to find the glowing rim, the driver fled, leaving his female passenger behind and then claimed he'd never seen the truck, which was then a smoldering hulk.
Police say the man also refused a breathalyzer and became verbally abusive toward officers.
He was arrested for being intoxicated in a public place, served notice of the 30-day impound of his vehicle, issued a 90-day suspension of his licence, along with a ticket for driving without due care and attention before being transported to a cell.
His date was driven home.
Read more BC News
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
- Elections BC: don't tweet on election day
- Fire fighters aided by rain, cool temps
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
(Click for RSS instructions.)