An 82-year-old Quebecer facing sex charges involving the alleged abuse of two girls under the age of 14 in the Dominican Republic will remain behind bars.
Joseph-Charles-Philippe Cote was arrested in the island nation this week and formally charged in Montreal on Friday.
The seven charges include importation, possession and production of juvenile pornography, invitation to sexual contact and having sexual contact with minors.
The charges stem from events alleged to have taken place between 2003 and last October.
That's when Cote was originally placed under investigation after he was initially flagged during a search by the Canada Border Services Agency.
"We intercepted this individual last October (when) he came back from a trip from the Dominican Republic," said agency spokesman Dominique McNeely.
"He arrived (back in Canada) on October 17th and we screened his laptop."
McNeely said that when agents found pictures, they transferred the case to provincial police who executed a search warrant and allegedly found hundreds of pictures of children on a computer.
Cote had been the subject of a Canada-wide arrest warrant since Feb. 8.
Cote's lawyer, Charles Benmouyal, said he requested a delay in the case to go over computer evidence and images that have been analyzed by police.
A local report in the Dominican Republic said Cote was nabbed in the resort town of Sosua, in the Puerto Plata region of the country.
Police say the Montreal resident travelled frequently to the Dominican Republic and allege the primary reason was to sexually exploit children.
"They are acts that have principally been committed in the Dominican Republic, but the evidence (I've received) is incomplete and I can't go any further," Benmouyal said.
Read more Canada News
- Cold and snow returns to the Midwest World
- Sign meeting draws big crowdPenticton / S. Okanagan
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to RoyalsSports
- Another 'Club' teams up with Yacht ClubKelowna
Government of Canada
Canada Revenue Agency