Letters to the editor
Feb 28, 2013 / 10:51 am
Below is a snap shot of Castanet’s home page today. I think for the mayor to suggest there is lazy reporting is perhaps putting his head in the sand. We all know the news media may sensationalize often however that doesn’t change the fact, The crime in the valley is at a critical level. These headlines, not unlike the headlines in the USA these days are going to change the way our future unfolds.
My family moved here seven years ago and I am a proud resident of Kelowna. My child goes to middle school and I am a part of the Kelowna business sector. These headlines do not lie. The violent crimes in the area are on par with any we hear about in the far away land of CNN. With a population Kelowna’s size or for that matter the Okanagan’s size, our crime rate and Violent crime rate is high.
Our business has been broke into eight times in seven years and we were able to catch the thieves once. Our house in a gated community was broke into on New Year’s eve in 2007. We reported it at 12:25 a.m. and we were already the 16th crime reported for the year. That’s one crime committed every two minutes!
I support our cities administration and certainly the RCMP that has this task in front of them. However the fact that if we do not change the crime trend in the area we will see tourism go down, migration of people to our fair city slow down, real estate slow down and business fail do to all the above. We can put new sidewalks downtown, build new water fronts and offer the best climate in Canada, but if we don’t get a handle on the crime then our new bridge we build will only help people pass us by quicker.
- Gray: Anti Kelowna story 'lazy reporting'Kelowna 5:06 pm - 2,353 views
- Trial date set for bush party stabbingPenticton 3:43 pm - 1,932 views
- WorkSafeBC fines local companiesKelowna 3:35 pm - 10,628 views
- Violent attacker fends off sentencePenticton 3:15 pm - 2,634 views
- Arrests made in Bacon murderKelowna 2:51 pm - 10,787 vie
- ATV getaway attacker sentencedKelowna 2:30 pm - 19,031 views
- Is Kelowna 'Paradise Lost?'Poll 5:00 pm - 999 views
- Man takes bite out of crime copsBC 4:44 pm - 2,489 views
- Man found dead known to RCMPBC 4:40 pm - 1,665 views
- Garneau to Trudeau: Let's debateCanada 4:33 pm - 208 views
- Accused crew member 'my life is over'BC 4:29 pm - 2,728 views
- Craigslist pepper spray robberyBC 3:13 pm - 4,388 views
- Second trial date set for BeauchampPenticton 3:03 pm - 3,782 views
- Syria is ready to talkWorld 2:54 pm - 1,464 views
- Meat reforms give Tories indigestionVernon 2:50 pm - 946 views
Read more Letters to the editor
for these and other issues.
- RE Media bias May 16
- Election results May 16
- Political bullying May 12
- Joe Rich flooding property May 12
- Bottles boosted May 12
(Click for RSS instructions.)