Feb 27, 2013 / 6:00 pm
Quite a coup for the UBC Okanagan women's volleyball program.
In just its second year at the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport) level, women's head volleyball coach Steve Manuel has been named CIS Coach of the Year.
This on the heels of being named Canada West Women's Volleyball Coach of the Year a week ago.
Manuel becomes the first major award winner at the school since it began competing at the CIS level in 2011.
He led the Heat to a fourth place finish in the highly competitive Canada West league with a 15-7 record, earning a home playoff date.
The team made its first ever appearance in the Top 10 in late November and was eventually ranked nationally in eight of 14 weekly coaches' polls.
"I am very pleased for Steve, particularly as I am aware of the very high calibre of the other conference coaches of the year," says UBCO Athletic Director, Rob Johnson.
"On top of all his other excellent qualities, he is a humble person and I know it means a great deal to him to be recognized by his peers and to be included in a group of nominees he himself holds in such high esteem."
Manuel just completed his 12th season coaching the Heat.
Over the span he was named women's volleyball coach of the year by the CCAA on two occasions and is also a double winner as national coach of the year across all sports.
Freshman setter Emily Oxland was also named a member of the CIS women's volleyball all-rookie team.
The North Vancouver native was also named to the Canada West all-rookie team.
Kelowna native Veronica Livingston who is attending Ryerson was also named to the all-rookie team.
The awards were handed out Wednesday night in Sherbrooke, QC, the site of this weeks national finals.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us email@example.com for publication here.
- Canada's Eugenie Bouchard rolls into quarters in Strasbourg
- Former U.S. team stalwart Claudio Reyna to head new MLS team
- Tiger Woods calls Sergio Garcia comment 'hurtful'
- Gritty defenceman Andy Sutton officially retires from NHL
- Robinson: Ruling on long putters comes up short
- Brian Urlacher says he's retiring from NFL
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Wednesday's Need To Know
- Chick: Time for Raptors to kill the dinosaur
- Mario Goetze won't play for Borussia Dortmund in Champions final
- IOC says still more work needed on targeted drug testing
- 30 Thoughts: Avalanche zero in on Patrick Roy
- Stanley Cup Stories: Confident Sens ready for Penguins
(Click for RSS instructions.)