Feb 26, 2013 / 12:19 pm
An Alberta sheriff has been shot at a courthouse in a town northwest of Edmonton.
The officer was shot in the hand, said Michelle Davio, a spokeswoman for Alberta Justice.
Whitecourt Mayor Trevor Thain said two suspects remained at large after Tuesday's shooting, which took place shortly before noon.
"The two perpetrators escaped," said Thain. "They stole the sheriff's van."
The local radio station reports that police have set up roadblocks in the area.
Thain says the suspects were among those arrested last Thursday in a drug bust in the community, about 180 kilometres from the provincial capital. Police said six people were taken into custody and charged after a raid, which found cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana, as well as an illegal firearm.
According to a police news release from the time of the arrest, the suspects are from Whitecourt and were due in court Tuesday.
Read more Canada News
- Canada fights online child sex abuse
- Montreal Mayor arrested at his home
- Montreal plot to strike at armoured cars
- Team Canada beats USA, sweeps series
- Harper, G8 propose to fight tax havens
- Feds want permanent secrecy in place
- Trudeau vows to repay charities
- Terry Fox preps Chinese for Canada
- Mystery men in Ford photo identified
- Quebec soccer scraps turban ban
- Syria moved to top of G8 agenda
- Premier: Trudeau should return $20K