Feb 25, 2013 / 9:51 am
A British explorer has pulled out of a group expedition to cross Antarctica during the region's winter, but the team that includes a Canadian says it will continue on without him.
Ranulph Fiennes is leaving the expedition dubbed "The Coldest Journey" after developing a severe case of frostbite.
The 68-year-old and his five-member team had hoped to conquer what has been called one of the last great polar challenges, Canadiantraversing nearly 4,000 kilometres in a place where temperatures often dip as low as minus 70 Celsius.
The expedition said in a statement Monday that the team is working toward evacuating Fiennes from Antarctica, but that the evacuation is being hampered by a blizzard.
But the others, including 28-year-old Spencer Smirl of Peace River, Alberta, plan to carry on with the mission, which aims to raise $10 million for a charity that seeks to prevent blindness.
Smirl, a mechanic, said last month he was looking forward to an unforgettable experience.
Read more Canada News
- Fishermen missing off NB coast
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cancels show
- Family found unconscious in fire
- Saskatchewan zombies
- Sen. Pamela Wallin latest to leave caucus
- 5.1 earthquake near Ottawa
- Mom and 5-year-old killed in Calgary
- Cocaine video & Toronto's mayor
- Duffy quits Conservative caucus
- Liquor Control Board averts strike
- Senator Duffy resigns from caucus
- Accused sexual predator to plea guilty