Feb 25, 2013 / 5:00 am
The Kelowna branch of the BCSPCA hosted a cupcake bake sale over the weekend and collected more than $1800 in donations for the BCSPCA.
The sale is in coaction with National Cupcake Day, the first-ever, coordinated Canadian event to support local shelters, SPCA's, and Humane Societies.
“I`m overwhelmingly pleased that so many people came out to support us,” said Barb Goebel, a volunteer for sixteen years.
“It`s turned out to be a great way to bring people in,”.
PJ Cakes and Cupcasions donated almost 500 cupcakes; the others were crafted by volunteers and members of the community.
Kelowna resident Becky Clarke came in with her four kids on their way to church. They adopted a puppy from the branch one year ago and were eager to support the cause.
“We just love the SPCA and this is a really good idea,” she said.
“It gets the kids involved.”
Laura Feeny, a local student and cat care attendant, volunteered to sell cupcakes and collect donations.
“It`s been great,” she said.
“It makes people more aware of what we do, and who doesn't like cupcakes?”
According to Animal Care Attendant Cam Buksa, half a dozen animals were adopted over the two-day sale, significantly more than the average weekend.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rutland May Day Parade video May 19
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19
- The Week in Review May 19
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16