“Central Okanagan organizations have received over half a million dollars in Community Gaming Grants. These organizations really make a difference in our community, providing needed supports and fostering community involvement. They make our community a better place to live,” said Kelowna-Mission MLA Steve Thomson.
Across British Columbia, 300 recipients will share $12,971,805 in the two latest rounds of grants.
“The Okanagan Boys and Girls clubs provide support to children and youth through physical, education, and social development in a safe and supportive environment. This gaming grant of $225,000 will assist the club in helping over 6,000 young people in the Okanagan each and every year,“ said Kelowna-Lake Country MLA Norm Letnick
More than 5,300 community groups benefited from funding during 2011/12.
- Elevation Outdoors Experiential Programs Association – $5,500
- Knights of Columbus – St. Charles Garnier Council #9845 – $10,000
- Canadian Federation of University Women – Kelowna – $10,000
- Shrine Club #15 – Kelowna – $20,000
- Westbank Lioness Club – $18,000
- University Children's Learning Centre Society – $14,750
- Central Okanagan Charitable Gaming Association – $20,000
- Kelowna Family Services Society – $22,000
- Okanagan Boys and Girls Clubs – $225,000