Feb 23, 2013 / 5:00 am
A West Kelowna school is hosting a junior chess tournament on March 2 for all students in the Central Okanagan.
It will take place at Mount Boucherie Secondary School and is a great way to get involved in the game.
This will be a rated tournament for students to test their chess tactics and opening strategies. It will also be a learning experience, in which students of similar grades are pared up in fun, supportive competition.
Primary students will need to know how all the pieces move, but referees will help guide students with any questions and tips unique to competitive chess.
There will be up to five rounds played from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and school trophies and individual medals will be awarded to three qualifiers in each grade and everyone will participation medals.
For more details, contact tournament director Chris Laurie at 250-768-5181.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Santa spends a day with our furry kids Dec 9
- Coyote attacks dog in broad daylight Dec 8
- Questions for the mayor Dec 8
- Fire rescue boathouse open Dec 7
- Improvements at Grizzly Road complete Dec 6
- Flash mob prom date proposal Dec 4
- WFN awarded new forest licence Dec 4
- Chamber changes to board of trade Dec 3
- 'Mr. Sandman' goes above & beyond Dec 3
- Hockey kids collect for the Philippines Dec 3