Feb 23, 2013 / 5:00 am
A West Kelowna school is hosting a junior chess tournament on March 2 for all students in the Central Okanagan.
It will take place at Mount Boucherie Secondary School and is a great way to get involved in the game.
This will be a rated tournament for students to test their chess tactics and opening strategies. It will also be a learning experience, in which students of similar grades are pared up in fun, supportive competition.
Primary students will need to know how all the pieces move, but referees will help guide students with any questions and tips unique to competitive chess.
There will be up to five rounds played from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and school trophies and individual medals will be awarded to three qualifiers in each grade and everyone will participation medals.
For more details, contact tournament director Chris Laurie at 250-768-5181.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Golf course fire ruled an arson May 13
- Uncovering youth homelessness May 13
- Westshore water advisory May 12
- West Kelowna will control its own pests May 12
- Shannon Lake clubhouse video May 11
- Van goes into restaurant May 11
- Clubhouse destroyed by fire May 11
- Mystery driver wrecks car May 10
- Motorists asked to avoid Angus Drive May 10
- Burnt out headlight tips off cops May 9