Feb 22, 2013 / 6:41 am
Olympian Oscar Pistorius has been granted bail while he awaits trial in the shooting death of his girlfriend.
A South African magistrate laid out the reasons for his decision for nearly two hours today, saying there was no reason to believe the double-amputee athlete is a flight risk.
Pistorius is accused in the shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day.
He is charged with one count of premediated murder but has claimed the shooting was accidental because he thought there was a dangerous intruder inside his home.
Pistorius has been held at a police station in Pretoria since last week, but suspects who are denied bail are typically held in a prison.
Read more World News
- SUV crashes into McDonald's play area
- Bangladesh cyclone fades away
- 12 tornadoes wallop North Texas
- Deadly tornado hits Texas
- Plane crashes at Nepal airstrip
- Car bomb in Afghan capital kills 15
- Cyclone weakens as it hits Bangladesh
- Deer crashes through bus windshield
- Cyclone a day away from destruction
- Cleveland kidnapper to plead not guilty
- OJ Simpson set to tell his story in court
- N. Korea: American sentenced to 15 yrs.
(Click for RSS instructions.)