Feb 22, 2013 / 9:30 am
UPDATE FRIDAY, FEB. 22 9:30 A.M. - Kelly Scott has clinched at least a spot in a tie-breaker at the 2013 Scotties Tournament of Hearts.
Scott defeated Northwest Territories/Yukon 9-7 Friday morning to improve her record to 7-3. She will conclude round robin play Friday afternoon against 3-7 Quebec.
A win against Quebec would guarantee Scott a spot in Saturday's 3-4 Page Playoff game.
Scott could still slip to a tie-breaker if she were to lose while Saskatchewan and/or New Brunswick win their remaining games Friday.
After struggling with the ice early in the week, Kelowna's Kelly Scott is starting to hit her stride at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Kingston, ON.
Sitting with a pedestrian 3-3 record following play Tuesday, Scott has reeled off three wins in a row to move into sole possession of fourth spot through nine draws.
The top four teams following the conclusion of round robin play will advance to Saturday's Page Playoff round.
“We’re a little under the radar,” said Scott about the team’s return to form after a slow start. “We’re not the front-runners this week, so we’re scrapping. Every game we’re scrapping out there, so that’s going to be our style for this Scotties."
Scott made the comments after a relatively easy 9-2 win over Saskatchewan Thursday evening.
The two teams came into the game with identical 5-3 records.
Tied at 1-1 after two Scott blew the game wide open in the third.
After key shots from Sasha Carter (2nd) and Jeanna Schraeder (third), Scott was left with an open draw for four.
She would score two more in six and stole a pair in seven before the Saskatchewan rink removed the gloves and shook hands.
Thursday's lopsided win capped an impressive 24 hours for Scott and crew who turned things around with an come-from-behind 9-8 win over PEI Wednesday night.
She tied it in nine before stealing the winning point in 10.
“Every time you get through to playoffs in a tournament like this, you have one game through the round robin that you look back at and say that was maybe a turning point, or that was the game that got us into this position in playoffs,” stated Scott."
She backed that up with a 7-4 win over Newfoundland/Labrador.
Scott can clinch a playoff berth with wins over the Northwest Territories/Yukon (1-8) and Quebec (3-6) Friday.
Manitoba's Jennifer Jones continues steamroll the competition improving to 9-0 with two more wins Thursday.
Ontario is 8-1 followed by defending champion Heather Nedohin at 7-2.
DRAW 14 MEDIA SCRUM
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us email@example.com for publication here.
- David Beckham bids tearful farewell in Paris
- Robinson Cano cranks 2 homers in Yankees romp over Blue Jays
- Wharnsby: Jason Spezza ready to return for Senators
- Toronto FC falls flat against Crew
- Sharks fined $100K for GM's comments about Raffi Torres
- Keegan Bradley up 3 strokes heading to final round of Byron Nelson
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown bid with upset Preakness win
- Rangers try to solve power play woes
- Rivalry to be renewed as Nadal faces Federer in Italian Open final
- Top #hockeynight tweets from Saturday
- Red Wings even series with Game 2 win in Chicago
- Sweden, Switzerland will play for world hockey gold
(Click for RSS instructions.)