Feb 21, 2013 / 2:30 pm
A 38-year-old Kelowna man with ties to organized crime and his 23-year-old girlfriend have been charged with possession for the purpose of trafficking after police executed a search warrant on their home earlier this month.
RCMP says an investigation into the activities of Matthew Schrader culminated in the search of his high-end luxury rental apartment on the 1300 block of Ellis Street on Feb. 9.
The search warrant, executed by the Kelowna RCMP Special Enforcement Team, resulted in the arrest of Schrader and his girlfriend Janay Pratt as well as the seizure of a large quantity of cocaine and heroin.
In all, 33 grams of crack cocaine, 3 grams of heroin, a bottle of suspected methadone, 11 cellular phones and paraphernalia consistent with drug trafficking was seized.
Cst. Kris Clark says Schrader has well documented links to several different organized crime groups and had been living in the apartment with his girlfriend and a a 15-year-old boy.
The Ministry of Children and Family Development has been notified.
Schrader and Pratt have both been charged with two counts of Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking.
They have both been released by the Court on strict conditions and are scheduled to appear again on April 15th.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Jail for man who beat his grandfather Dec 7
- Another transit driver assaulted Dec 6
- Kelowna taxpayers face hike Dec 6
- Tree of Memories honours loved ones Dec 5
- Santa goes hog wild with toy donations Dec 5
- Women's shelter launches text campaign Dec 5
- Neighbourhood crime map Dec 5
- Yacht club build behind schedule Dec 5
- New services to 'Bridge' gap for addicts Dec 5
- Powder chair now open at Big White Dec 5