Feb 21, 2013 / 7:34 am
A deadly gunfight between a Maserati and an SUV on the Las Vegas Strip caused a fiery crash involving a taxi that burst into flames. Three people died and at least three were injured early Thursday, police said.
The Maserati driver, the taxi driver and a passenger in the cab were killed. The SUV got away.
In all, five vehicles were involved in the dramatic pre-dawn crash at a wide intersection surrounded by some of the most famous casinos on the Strip, including the Bellagio, Caesars Palace and the Paris.
It started with people in the Maserati and the SUV exchanging gunfire before the high-end sports car hit the taxi, said Sgt. John Sheahan. Three other vehicles were involved in the wreck, but the SUV was gone when police arrived, Sheahan said.
At least three people were hospitalized, including a passenger from the Maserati.
More people may be hurt, Sheahan said.
The gun battle was the latest in a series of violent actions on the tourist corridor since the beginning of the year. Two people were critically wounded in a shooting at a parking garage Feb. 6, and a tourist was stabbed in an elevator at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay on Feb. 16.
Read more World News
- Texas executes convicted murderer
- Trapped underwater for 3 days
- Ferry theft leads to security review
- Iceland's 'first ever' fatal police shooting
- Bob Dylan handed preliminary charges
- Man dies after shark bites his foot in Maui
- Train going too fast at curve before crash
- Safety review after ferry commandeered
- Bangkok police remove concrete barriers
- Dozens of same-sex marriages in Hawaii
- Online spending better on Black Friday
- China launches rover to survey moon
(Click for RSS instructions.)