Feb 18, 2013 / 12:02 pm
On February 15 at approximately 11:00 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a report from BC Ambulance of a sixteen year old male in medical distress at a gas station in the 15200 block of 72nd Avenue.
Officers attended the scene and identified the unresponsive male along with a number of witnesses who were on a ‘party bus’ with the male at the time. Statements were taken from witnesses along with the party bus driver. The male was taken to a local area hospital where he was later pronounced deceased.
Surrey RCMP General Investigations Section is investigating this incident to determine whether any offenses occurred under the criminal code, liquor control act, or motor vehicle act. Foul play is not suspected at this time. Evidence of alcohol was found on the bus, however, the exact cause of death is still unknown and an autopsy report is expected to be completed this week.
“Certainly we have seen several incidents over the past few years involving party buses where police have had to get involved, but never with such tragic consequences.” says Surrey RCMP Cpl. Bert Paquet. “Unfortunately when you mix groups of young people with alcohol in a confined place for several hours it is often just a matter time before police are called.”
Anyone with more information is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or if they wish to remain anonymous, Crime Stoppers, at 1-800-222-TIPS.
Read more BC News
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
- Search for BC teen continues
- Juror excused at BC ferry sinking trial
- Body found following swimming tragedy
- 72-hour strike notice given to FortisBC
- Police rescue children locked inside cars
(Click for RSS instructions.)