Feb 18, 2013 / 11:25 am
1:15 p.m. update: Residents of Copper Sky Development have been allowed to return home. FortisBC confirmed gas leaked from the line for almost an hour before it was stopped.
11:25 update: People who live at the Light House RV Park are now able to head back home. FortisBC has stopped the gas from leaking. Roads are now open in the area.
11:00 a.m. update: Emergency officials have evacuated approximately 30 people from Copper Sky in West Kelowna.
Fire officials say a contractor hit a main gas line and they are now waiting for FortisBC to shut the gas off to the line.
The residents are gathering in the recreational centre of the condo project.
The Lighthouse RV Park beside Copper Sky has also been evacuated.
The roads in the area are now open.
10:35 a.m.: A gas line has been hit at Copper Sky and evacuations are taking place.
There are no reports of injuries.
Old Okanagan Highway is also being closed from Louie Drive to Bayview.
We have reporters on location, more details to follow.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Premier's riding goes 'Up in Smoke' Nov 27
- Latest Westside Road project complete Nov 27
- Fearless coyote kills family dog Nov 26
- Box of wine tossed after crash Nov 25
- Alleged arsonist also property manager Nov 22
- West Kelowna grow-op dismantled Nov 20
- West K set for sweeping zoning changes Nov 20
- Young men brave icy waters to save man Nov 19
- Christmas lights tour for the food bank Nov 19
- Designers wanted for civic centre Nov 18