Feb 18, 2013 / 11:25 am
1:15 p.m. update: Residents of Copper Sky Development have been allowed to return home. FortisBC confirmed gas leaked from the line for almost an hour before it was stopped.
11:25 update: People who live at the Light House RV Park are now able to head back home. FortisBC has stopped the gas from leaking. Roads are now open in the area.
11:00 a.m. update: Emergency officials have evacuated approximately 30 people from Copper Sky in West Kelowna.
Fire officials say a contractor hit a main gas line and they are now waiting for FortisBC to shut the gas off to the line.
The residents are gathering in the recreational centre of the condo project.
The Lighthouse RV Park beside Copper Sky has also been evacuated.
The roads in the area are now open.
10:35 a.m.: A gas line has been hit at Copper Sky and evacuations are taking place.
There are no reports of injuries.
Old Okanagan Highway is also being closed from Louie Drive to Bayview.
We have reporters on location, more details to follow.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Golf course fire ruled an arson May 13
- Uncovering youth homelessness May 13
- Westshore water advisory May 12
- West Kelowna will control its own pests May 12
- Shannon Lake clubhouse video May 11
- Van goes into restaurant May 11
- Clubhouse destroyed by fire May 11
- Mystery driver wrecks car May 10
- Motorists asked to avoid Angus Drive May 10
- Burnt out headlight tips off cops May 9