Feb 18, 2013 / 6:06 am
Taekwon-Do Provincial Championships Feb. 10, 2013
The members of Sundance Taekwon-do from Kelowna and Vernon achieved success at the 2013 International Taekwon-do Federation (ITF) BC Championships at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby last week.
The ITF British Columbia Championships featured 290 competitors from all over British Columbia.
Sundance Taekwon-do in Vernon and Kelowna sent a team of 14 competitors bringing home a total of 23 medals.
Abbie Bennett who is currently the top ranked junior light-heavyweight in the country had a very fruitful day taking gold in both patterns and sparring competition.
Fellow competitor Leah Werry won both 2nd degree black belt patterns and women’s black belt sparring.
Brad Cotey took gold in men’s first degree patterns and silver in men’s heavyweight sparring. Junior male Brett bell took a bronze in first degree patterns and silver in the junior boys heavyweight sparring.
Kelly Kinniburgh took home bronze in both women’s 3rd degree patterns and women’s black belt sparring.
In colour belt competition: Maira Wilson took home the gold in bantam girls red belt patterns and bronze in sparring while her older sister Ciara Wilson took bronze in pre-junior red belt patterns and sparring.
Blue belt girls Dannon MacKay and Sarah Crerar took home gold medals in heavy weight and light weight sparring categories respectively. They also each earned bronze medals in the Bantam girls blue belt patterns division. Dannon’s younger brother Cole MacKay took bronze in the bantam boys blue belt sparring.
The Bennett brothers also saw some success at the tournament with older brother Jacob Bennett earning a bronze in pre-junior boys red belt light weight sparring. His brother Aidan Bennett won a hard fought silver medal in the bantam red belt light weight sparring division. Youngest brother Charlie Bennett put in a great effort but did not medal.
Sundance Head Instructor and Coach David White was also in competition, taking the gold medal in Men’s 4th degree patterns and a bronze in men’s power breaking.
“Our members all put forth a great effort and trained incredibly hard for this event and we could not be more proud as a school. This was a great learning experience for all of us,” says White, an International Instructor and Examiner with the International Taekwon-do Federaion.
Up next for the members of Sundance is the Western Canadian Championships to be held on April 13th in Regina, Saskatchewan where several of the black belt competitors will continue to earn seeding points for the Canadian Nationals in hopes of qualifying to represent Canada at the ITF World Championships held in Benidorm, Spain in October.
The Canadian National Championships will be held in Quebec City, Quebec on May 17th and 18th where the school expects to have 6 competitors in attendance.
For more information on Sundance Taekwon-Do click here.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us email@example.com for publication here.
- OK Sun get three more top recruits
- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M US tornado pledge
- Emmanuel Arceneaux happy to be back with B.C. Lions
- Next 49ers stadium named site of 50th Super Bowl
- Rangers' Tortorella expects better from Girardi on home ice
- Avalanche silent on report Patrick Roy will become coach
- Anchoring long putters in golf prohibited as of 2016
- Bryan Colangelo disappointed but accepting of Raptors' decision
- Raptors shake up front office, Colangelo in reduced role
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Tuesday's Need To Know
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: 2013 Overtime Heroes
- Wharnsby: Benoit is all heart, hard work for Senators
(Click for RSS instructions.)