Feb 17, 2013 / 2:48 pm
A three-alarm blaze has destroyed 138 homes in an apartment building in Burnaby, B.C.
Firefighters raced to make rescues of screaming residents while knocking down the fire that engulfed the building overnight.
At some points, people were hanging out of windows hollering for help until ladders were used to evacuate them and their pets.
Assistant Fire Chief Ken Moore says crews arrived to see flames shooting out of all sides of the building (on Smith Ave. near Canada Way.)
Authorities say the building is a write-off and people have lost all their belongings, while early on they believe the fire began in the basement.
Some people and animals were treated for smoke inhalation.
Read more BC News
- School trustees want special hydro rate
- Sea otter shot in face now stable
- Richmond man shot in tile store
- Incest father has sentence doubled
- BC NDP seeks to abolish Senate
- Driver plows SUV in grocery store
- BC strikes tentative union deals
- Teen labelled as high risk for terrorism
- Pot referendum pipe dream up in smoke
- Woman's body found in Burnaby suite
- Accused's ex-girlfriend helped sell drugs
- Grand theft vessel after ferry stolen
(Click for RSS instructions.)