Feb 17, 2013 / 6:18 am
Horrified neighbours watched helplessly as a house fire in Victoria claimed the lives of three young adults early Saturday.
Fire Capt. Bob Jones said flames were shooting out from the back and front of the house and two vehicles in the driveway were ablaze when firefighters arrived at about 4:30 a.m.
"The house is only, literally, 50 feet away from the back of the fire hall," Jones said.
"It really got going quickly and it was windy, and that really helped spread the fire throughout the house."
The victims were a young man and two young women, Jones said, adding it's believed they were all students who rented the house. The victims names have not yet been released.
Jones said there was a party at the house on Friday night and that several out-of-town guests were staying there.
"Our evacuee assistance program has relocated some of them from out of town and put them up in accommodation for the night."
Read more BC News
- Pot referendum pipe dream up in smoke
- Woman's body found in Burnaby suite
- Accused's ex-girlfriend helped sell drugs
- Grand theft vessel after ferry stolen
- Family of five submerged in river
- Highway 1 reopened
- Victim identified in Vancouver homicide
- Man arrested after calling 9-1-1 for help
- Hunter found after cold BC night
- 60-year-old shot and killed
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
(Click for RSS instructions.)