Feb 16, 2013 / 1:01 pm
A Kelowna family saw an aircraft they could not identify hovering over Orchard Park mall Friday night.
The family were headed west on highway 97 at around 11:45 p.m. when they spotted what they initially thought was a helicopter hovering above the mall. As they got closer, however, it didn't appear or behave like a helicopter or any other airplane.
The craft was described as being shaped like a stingray, was a dark grey color and had 3 or 4 steady white lights.
"It began to slowly head east, parallel to the ground," said one witness, who wishes to remain anonymous.
"It just took off into the sky with a rate of acceleration that we had never seen before and was gone."
No sounds were heard.
NavCanada have confirmed that no aircraft were over Kelowna airspace at that time, with that trajectory.
Send photos and video to email@example.com
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Tuesday crash sends 4 to hospital May 21
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21
- Stabbing arrest May 21
- Last day to register for PlayOn! Kelowna May 21
- Thunderstorm watch in effect May 21
- Calling all green thumbs May 21
- Glenmore crash May 20
- Grad party rollover May 20
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19