Feb 16, 2013 / 11:43 am
The glittering costumes and floats that last week marked Rio de Janeiro's iconic Carnival are back as the top six finishers of the annual samba school competition take part in the Parade of Champions.
The final parade takes place every year on the Saturday night after Carnival.
The first group to enter the Sambadrome will be sixth-placed Academicos do Grande Rio. This year's winner was Unidos de Vila Isabel, which will parade last.
Unidos de Vila Isabel's agricultural-themed parade featured a sexy spider samba queen, lady bug musicians and a giant grasshopper float.
Read more World News
- Israeli president willing to meet Iran's
- Presidents & royalty at Mandela service
- Prince Harry's Antarctic race called off
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Thailand crisis deepens
- Progress seen since Typhoon Haiyan
- South Africans hold day of prayer
- Millions of residents hit by storm
- Obama to attend Mandela memorial
- 72nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor
- Egypt court reduces heavy sentences
- Attacks kill 15 in Iraq
(Click for RSS instructions.)