Feb 13, 2013 / 7:40 pm
A statue in memory of British Columbia firefighters who have lost their lives was unveiled Wednesday on the grounds of the legislature in Victoria.
Premier Christy Clark paid tribute to the daily sacrifices firefighters make and to six firefighters who died after suffering from work-related cancers.
She says the statue represents a permanent tribute to the service firefighters provide, and recognizes their ultimate sacrifice, as well as the losses faced by their families and colleagues.
Hundreds of firefighters in uniform and a firefighters marching band were on hand at the ceremony, which also included family, friends and politicians from all sides of the legislature.
The statue unveiling came as the B.C. Professional Firefighters Association held its B.C. Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service at the legislature.
Read more BC News
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
- Search for BC teen continues
- Juror excused at BC ferry sinking trial
- Body found following swimming tragedy
- 72-hour strike notice given to FortisBC
(Click for RSS instructions.)