Feb 10, 2013 / 2:23 pm
A nine-year-old boy is dead after an accident at an outdoor rink in small municipality northeast of Montreal.
Quebec provincial police say the boy was playing hockey alone at around 9 a.m. Saturday morning when a hockey net fell on top of him.
Two municipal workers in Saint-Severin, Que. found the boy lying on the ice, underneath the net, according to police spokesman Daniel Thibaudeau.
"They tried to help him but it was already too late," Thibaudeau said.
The boy was taken to a nearby hospital where his death was confirmed. Thibaudeau said police don't consider the incident a criminal matter.
Saint-Severin is about 200 kilometres from Montreal.
Read more Canada News
- Ont. man arrested for murder of BC man
- Canadian man accused of espionage
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance
- Animal abuse law enforcement lacking
- RCMP arrest man on spying charges
- Avoid the legal pitfalls at office parties
- Canada to file Arctic seafloor claim
- Fish-farm's still stuck on Atlantic salmon
- Families remember deadly plane crash
- Four teens killed after crash on NB Hwy