Feb 6, 2013 / 1:54 pm
Vancouver police have arrested a man with the help of a Good Samaritan after a violent sexual assault downtown sent a victim to hospital.
Sgt. Randy Fincham says the 25-year-old woman was waiting for a bus at 3 a.m. on Jan. 30 when she was grabbed by a man, carried onto Granville Street and sexually assaulted.
But Fincham says the woman screamed loudly and actively fought back, prompting a witnesses to intervene.
The attacker bolted and tried to get into several taxis, but he was refused service and he fled down Granville Street.
Police say they arrested 26-year-old Dustin Burwood last weekend after they obtained a photo of a person-of-interest in the sexual assault.
Police wouldn't say how they got the photo or how the Good Samaratin helped out, but say the woman, who was taken to hospital with minor injuries, did everything right to protect herself.
Read more BC News
- Ahmadiyya mosque opens in Delta
- BC NDP's bus ride went beyond Hope
- Vancouver man shot dead in Costa Rica
- Company intercepts LSD-laced mail
- Hydro project to go ahead in northern BC
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
(Click for RSS instructions.)