Penticton and South Okanagan
Feb 5, 2013 / 1:39 pm
An elderly woman was hospitalized after a fire broke out in her Penticton apartment late Monday night.
The blaze started around 11:44 p.m. in the unit on the third floor of the apartment complex at 241 Scott Ave.
Two fire trucks with three firefighters on each responded to the fire, believed to be caused by the person who lived in the unit smoking.
The mattress and papers on the nightstand initially caught fire. There was some smoke damage and damage caused by use of the fire extinguisher.
The woman was expected to be released from hospital Tuesday morning. She will be put up by emergency social services, said Deputy Fire Chief Dave Spalding.
The manager at the apartments did not allow media to enter the building.
Karen Wells, a woman who lives there, said she heard the fire was caused by someone smoking in bed.
It was her understanding the manager rushed up and put out the fire, which was burning the woman's quilt.
“It was very frightening, when you are afraid everything will go up in smoke", she said. “It’s the worst thing you can do is smoke in bed.”
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
City of Penticton
Penticton Discussion Forum
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
- Mountain biker injured on trail Jun 18
- No sentencing in sexual assault case Jun 17
- Winery wants food for thought at council Jun 17
- Man sentenced in violent assault case Jun 17
- Sandcastle builders wanted Jun 17
- Gather for the summer solstice Jun 17
- Visitor centre offers brochure service Jun 16