Feb 1, 2013 / 9:05 pm
The chief of a prominent B.C. First Nation says his son was the man who was shot and killed by police earlier this week in the Vancouver suburb of north Burnaby.
The Independent Investigations Office, which probes police incidents involving death or serious harm, says the shooting occurred early Thursday while police were answering a 911 call about a man with a knife
Forty-five-year-old Ryan Jacob succumbed to his injuries soon after being transported to Vancouver General Hospital.
Chief Gibby Jacob says Ryan was his son, and the death has sent a shock wave through his family and the community
He says Ryan was a loving father, brother, uncle, nephew, cousin, sportsman and an artist.
The coroners service and the Independent Investigations Office are looking into the case.
Read more BC News
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
- Search for BC teen continues
- Juror excused at BC ferry sinking trial
- Body found following swimming tragedy
- 72-hour strike notice given to FortisBC
(Click for RSS instructions.)