Jan 31, 2013 / 7:31 pm
Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez has relieved retired Cardinal Roger Mahony of his remaining duties, on the same night the church released thousands of pages of personnel files of priests accused of sexual abuse.
Gomez released a statement Thursday night saying that he has told Mahony he will no longer have any administrative or public duties.
Gomez also says Thomas Curry, who served as a key aide to Mahony in dealing with priests accused of molestation, has stepped down from his current job as auxiliary bishop for the archdiocese's Santa Barbara region.
Both men issued public apologies earlier this month.
Read more World News
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
- Did North Korea launch missiles?
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
(Click for RSS instructions.)