Jan 31, 2013 / 7:31 pm
Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez has relieved retired Cardinal Roger Mahony of his remaining duties, on the same night the church released thousands of pages of personnel files of priests accused of sexual abuse.
Gomez released a statement Thursday night saying that he has told Mahony he will no longer have any administrative or public duties.
Gomez also says Thomas Curry, who served as a key aide to Mahony in dealing with priests accused of molestation, has stepped down from his current job as auxiliary bishop for the archdiocese's Santa Barbara region.
Both men issued public apologies earlier this month.
Read more World News
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs to $ 586M
- Israel, Lebanon move to ease tensions
- Wildfire in Big Sur destroys 15 homes
- Charged over offensive tweets
- Car bombs kills 23 in Iraq
- NASA debates spacewalk fix
- Fidel Castro in 'excellent health'
- Israeli soldiers involved in skirmish
- 16 dead after knife attack in China
- Syrian government airstrikes hit rebels
- South Sudan coup failed
- Suspect arrested; girl found in trash bin
(Click for RSS instructions.)