RCMP 'significantly' affected the drug trade in Kelowna for at least a day following a wide-ranging drug sweep in the city last week.
According to police nine people were arrested during the take-downs on Wednesday, Jan. 23.
Cst. Kris Clark, says several different RCMP units conducted a series of investigations into drug trafficking in the Kelowna area.
"Using various evidence-gathering techniques police observed numerous suspected drug transactions," says Clark.
"Nine people were arrested and charged for varying offences under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Police seized quantities of heroin, crack cocaine, powder cocaine, methamphetamine, steroids and prescription pills as well as cash and paraphernalia consistent with drug trafficking."
Clark says some of the arrests were made on the streets while others occurred in drug houses around the city.
Most alarming was the arrest of two teens, a 17-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl.
Both Kelowna teens have been charged with Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking.
The boy has also been charged with Trafficking and remains in custody awaiting a court appearance Feb. 5 while the girl is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow (Thursday).
"This is quite disturbing," says Clark who added appropriate agencies will get involved with the two teens.
Other arrested include:
- Madison Fine, 20, of Kelowna is charged with one count of Trafficking in Controlled Substance. She remains in custody and is scheduled to appear in Court on Feb. 5.
- Matthew Wiebe, 34, and Adam Pentony-Woolwoch, 24, of Kelowna are charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance. Wiebe is scheduled to appear in Court on Jan. 31 while Pentony-Woolwoch will appear on Mar. 7.
- Cameron Ford, 46 of Kelowna is charged with Trafficking and Possession of a Controlled Substance. He is scheduled to appear in Court on Feb. 5. A 45-year-old Kelowna man who was arrested with Ford was released without charges.
- Vikeshwar Singh, 27 of Kelowna is charged with Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking. Nathan Rae, 27, of Surrey is charged with Trafficking and Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking. Both are scheduled to appear in Court on Feb. 4.
"Kelowna RCMP Special Enforcement Teams continue to use intelligence-led, research-based techniques to reduce crime in Kelowna as part of their crime reduction strategy," adds Clark.
Read more Kelowna News
- Parents scrambling for daycare BC - 2:16 pm
- Fire destroys houseVernon / N. Okanagan - 3:05 pm
- Negotiation or legislation?Poll - 2:08 pm
- Quad crash hospitalizes oneKelowna - 1:04 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library