Jan 26, 2013 / 9:12 am
Premier Christy Clark extended her best wishes to everyone celebrating the 64th Republic Day of India.
"Republic Day commemorates the date when the Constitution of India came into effect, and the republic was formed. In just 64 years, India has become the largest democracy in the world with the fastest growing middle class. Today represents a time to join together in celebration of India's rich culture and heritage and to honour those who helped build it.
"British Columbia has a vibrant Indo-Canadian community, which has played an important role in the development of our great province. Our province and India have strong cultural and economic ties, which I hope you will see on colourful display at the inaugural The Times of India Film Awards to be held in Vancouver this year.
"Celebrations like today's help us to develop a greater appreciation of the international component of our growing and diverse society.
"I wish British Columbia's Indo-Canadian community a meaningful and memorable anniversary celebration."
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Realtors donate to Gospel Mission Jun 18
- Council toasts new liquor establishment Jun 18
- City to test family alcohol zone Jun 18
- Missing teenager has been found Jun 17
- Attempted murder charges laid Jun 17
- Gas leak capped on Borden Ave. Jun 17
- Wiens trial to resume in July Jun 17
- Room to grow - hotel tax continues Jun 17
- Sugar closes sorting plant Jun 17
- Assault sends one man to hospital Jun 17