Central Okanagan News
Interior Health has announced it will continue to maintain clinical oversight of Summerland Seniors Village and the facility will not be accepting any new admissions until the situation has been remedied.
A clinical consultant was brought in on Dec.1 to work with management and oversee the facility’s Residential Care section. A second consultant was brought in a few days later to oversee the Assisted Living area.
“Interior Health’s number one priority is the safety and quality of care delivered to seniors in care,” says Karen Bloemink, IH Regional Director, Residential Services.
“We have taken complaints about this facility very seriously, which is why we conducted our quality reviews and continue to maintain a presence at this site.”
The facility has faced stiff criticism ever since 91-year-old Alfredo Bonaldi was left unattended for several days last year. He later died in hospital.
His family says staff forgot to check on him after he failed to turn up for meals and were unaware he was seriously ill.
Interior Health funds 75 of 80 residential care beds and 18 of 36 assisted living suites at Summerland Seniors Village, which is owned and operated by Retirement Concepts.
There have been three reviews and two inspections of the facility since October of last year. They identified common areas of concern with regards to staffing levels, education and training, and leadership.
As a result, Summerland Seniors Village has been directed to take the following steps:
- Increase staffing levels to ensure quality of care for clients.
- Bolster its leadership team and nursing oversight to provide stronger support for frontline staff.
- Create clearer processes for communicating with staff, residents, and their families and/or caregivers, particularly relating to changes in client care needs.
- Develop enhanced procedures for falls prevention, wound care, and the use of least restraint.
- Provide ongoing education and training of staff.
Interior Health says it will continue to monitor the situation and the facilities progress in these key areas.
Read more Central Okanagan articles
- Power outage pastimesWest Kelowna - 9:24 pm
- Students rally for classmateVernon / N. Okanagan - 8:24 pm
- Garage goes up in flamesCentral Okanagan - 4:15 pm
- New property & new partnershipWest Kelowna - 4:45 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library