Jan 21, 2013 / 7:44 pm
Police say a Canadian man opened fire in a Philippine courtroom, killing two people and wounding a prosecutor before he was shot and wounded by officers.
Police said the suspect appeared in a Cebu court Tuesday to face malicious mischief charges when he pulled out a gun and shot a prosecutor, a lawyer and another person.
Regional police director Marcelo Garbo said the gunman was wounded by responding police after ignoring orders to surrender and trying to fire at them.
He and the prosecutor were taken to a hospital.
The suspect was identified as John Pope, a resident of central Cebu city. Garbo said police were investigating his background.
The shooting came after several recent killings in the country that prompted calls for a tighter gun control.
Read more World News
- Deadly tornado hits Texas
- Plane crashes at Nepal airstrip
- Car bomb in Afghan capital kills 15
- Cyclone weakens as it hits Bangladesh
- Deer crashes through bus windshield
- Cyclone a day away from destruction
- Cleveland kidnapper to plead not guilty
- OJ Simpson set to tell his story in court
- N. Korea: American sentenced to 15 yrs.
- US general's sexual misconduct charges
- Man killed dribbling soccer ball to Brazil
- Doctor visits left Jackson 'loopy'
(Click for RSS instructions.)