Jan 20, 2013 / 7:00 pm
Barry Brust made 30 saves Sunday as the Abbotsford Heat shut out the Milwaukee Admirals 2-0 in the American Hockey League.
Brust picked up his fourth shutout of the season and snapped a personal five-game winless streak.
Krys Kolanos and Brett Carson scored for Abbotsford (21-12-7), which has won four straight.
Magnus Hellberg stopped 21 shots for the Milwaukee (17-16-6). Hellberg has not won since Dec. 12, a span of six games.
Kolanos opened the scoring for the second night in a row on a similar play. Coming down the left wing, the Heat forward brushed off a defenceman, used a power move to get to the net and slid the puck under Hellberg for his 11th of the year at 6:15.
The best save of the first period came in the final minute when a blocked shot came right to Milwaukee's Austin Watson but Brust kicked out his pad to keep the Admirals off the board.
Carson made it 2-0 for the Heat at 3:15 of the second period, just seven seconds into a power play. He one-timed Mike Matczak's setup from the point, giving him goals in each of his first two games this season.
Brust shut the door in the third with 12 saves, including a tough blocker stop with three minutes to go.
Read more BC News
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
- Elections BC: don't tweet on election day
- Fire fighters aided by rain, cool temps
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
(Click for RSS instructions.)