Since January 12, the Chilliwack RCMP have been advised of over a dozen reports of counterfeit US currency being passed in the Chilliwack area.
Counterfeit US $20, $50 and $100 bills have surfaced at Cross Country Grocers in Rosedale, On the Way Store on Chilliwack Lake Road, M&M Meat Shop, and 9 different stores from the Chilliwack Mall and Cottonwood Mall.
The bills have been described as being printed on computer paper and are slightly larger than legitimate US notes. In one instance the suspect was described as a man in his early twenties possibly associated to a grey European car similar to a BMW.
When you are trying to determine if you have a counterfeit US bill here are some things to consider:
- Feel the texture. Genuine currency has slightly raised ink that is produced in the intaglio printing process. You should be able to feel the texture of this ink, especially if you are holding a new dollar bill.
- Check for flatness or lack of detail (printing quality). Look for blurry areas, especially in fine details such as around the borders--real bills have clear, unbroken borders.
- Look for colored red and blue tiny fibers embedded in the paper. Counterfeiters sometimes try to reproduce these by printing or drawing these fibers onto the paper, but close inspection reveals, however, that on the counterfeit note you will see that they are printed on, rather than being part of the paper itself.
- Look at the serial numbers as fake bills may have serial numbers that are not evenly spaced or that are not perfectly aligned in a row. If you have two bills with the same serial number then they are counterfeit.
- Look for security features in all denominations, except the $1 and $2.
Police are asking merchants to pay close attention to any US bills they receive and to call the Chilliwack RCMP at 604-792-4611 right away if you suspect a person is attempting to pass a counterfeit bill.
Read more BC News
- All candidates forum comingKelowna - 8:57 pm
- Truck thief quickly nabbedPenticton / S. Okanagan - 7:11 pm
- Bobbitt hearing adjournedPenticton / S. Okanagan - 7:08 pm
- Development builds protestKelowna - 4:52 pm