Jan 18, 2013 / 12:41 pm
A 24-year-old snowboarder visiting B.C. from Australia has died on Whistler Mountain.
RCMP say the man fell in a steep, treed area on Thursday and suffered a head injury.
Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair says it appears the man and a woman he was with found themselves in steeper terrain that they were able to handle and he fell while trying to walk down the slope.
The young man was transferred to a hospital in Vancouver, but died Thursday night.
On Jan. 7, a 43-year-old American man also died while skiing in very steep terrain on the mountain.
LeClair says such tragedies are a reminder that hazards exist within and outside the ski area boundary.
Read more BC News
- Highway 1 reopened
- Victim identified in Vancouver homicide
- Man arrested after calling 9-1-1 for help
- Hunter found after cold BC night
- 60-year-old shot and killed
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
- Temperatures to drop next week
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
- House fire kills 1 in Langley
- B.C. legislature dome needs pricy refit
(Click for RSS instructions.)