Jan 18, 2013 / 3:02 pm
The Regional District has transferred $3.5M in federal Gas Tax funding to the District of West Kelowna.
The funds are earmarked for upcoming improvements to the municipality's transit system.
This funding had previously been approved with the Regional District prior to West Kelowna incorporation in 2007.
Money will be transferred from the City of Kelowna to West Kelowna for construction of a new transit exchange on Westgate Road near Mount Boucherie as part of Phase 2 of the Rapid Bus program.
The regional District of Central Okanagan will also work with the Union of BC Municipalities and West Kelowna to work out a new funding arrangement with the municipality.
The UBCM administers the federal Gas Tax funding agreement.
Design of two new transit exchanges at Westgate Road and Westbank Centre is underway with construstion expected to start in the summer.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Missing man located May 14
- Cops bust another West Kelowna grow May 14
- Pub staff and patrons become heroes May 13
- Creeks in West Kelowna remain stable May 13
- Golf course fire ruled an arson May 13
- Uncovering youth homelessness May 13
- Westshore water advisory May 12
- West Kelowna will control its own pests May 12
- Shannon Lake clubhouse video May 11
- Van goes into restaurant May 11