Jan 16, 2013 / 10:00 pm
The Kelowna Rockets team record tying 18th straight win on home ice wasn't as one-sided as it could - or should have been.
Leading comfortably 4-0 midway through the final period, the Rockets needed an empty net goal from Zach Franko to squeak out a 5-3 victory over the Spokane Chiefs Wednesday.
Todd Fiddler midway through the third and Alessio Bertaggia with his first of two while shorthanded six minutes later cut the deficit to two.
Bertaggia connected with his second on a power-play with just two minutes to go pulling the Chiefs to within striking distance.
Head coach Ryan Huska called a time out after the third goal and settled the team down long enough for Franko to deke past two Chiefs defenders at the blueline and calmly hit the empty net.
The Rockets built up the four goal lead on the strength of three unanswered goals during a dominating second period in which they outshot the Chiefs 16-8.
Ryan Olsen backhanded home his team leading ninth power-play goal from a sharp angle to open the scoring just three minutes into the opening period.
The Rockets then exploded in the second.
Colton Sissons blast off the right wing beat Eric Williams high to double the lead.
Rourke Chartier jammed home a rebound to make it 3-0 before Tyrell Goulbourne wristed a shot from in close to close out the second period.
Jordon Cooke turned aside 17 shots for his 23rd win of the season.
Wednesday's win puts the Rockets in the record books alongside the 2002-2003 Kelowna Rockets who also won 18 straight at home.
The franchise record of 24 straight was set by the Tacoma Rockets in 1992-1993.
The Rockets will go for a record 19th straight home win when they host the Vancouver Giants Saturday.
Before that, the Rockets travel to Spokane for the back half of this home-and-home set with the Chiefs Friday.
The Rockets are again four points clear of the Kamloops Blazers in the race for top spot in the BC Division after the Blazers fell 3-2 in a shootout in Victoria.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us email@example.com for publication here.
- Canada's Roseline Filion wins bronze in women's 10m tower
- Don Cherry says NHLers 'nuts' to play at hockey worlds
- Watch & Chat: Penguins at Senators on Hockey Night
- Sweden nabs gold at hockey worlds on home soil
- Sang-Moon Bae's 1st PGA win comes at Byron Nelson
- Spurs maul Grizzlies to open West finals
- Bruins rough up Rangers for 2-0 series lead
- Canadians Bouchard, Gagne dive to silver at FINA Grand Prix event
- Arsenal grabs final Champions League berth: EPL
- Canada's Paul Henderson, Danielle Goyette enter IIHF Hall of Fame
- Blue Jays washed out of the Bronx
- Wharnsby: Senators need Spezza, home ice to pay off in Game 3
(Click for RSS instructions.)