Jan 15, 2013 / 5:00 am
Three Kelowna residents have been bestowed with Diamond Jubilee Medals commemorating Queen Elizabeth’s 60th anniversary on the throne.
Former Kelowna mayor Jim Stuart, Kelowna General Hospital Auxiliary volunteer Chrissie Leathley and philanthropist Thomas Budd were nominated by city council and received their medals at Monday’s council meeting.
“Jim Stuart, Chrissie Leathley and Thomas Budd – in their individual ways – have devoted themselves to making Kelowna a better place,” said Mayor Walter Gray.
“They are generous, giving people who care about our city and tirelessly contribute to its betterment.”
- Jim Stuart dedicated 31 years to local government as a member of Kelowna City Council, including 10 years as mayor, and 15 years as chairman of the Regional District of Central Okanagan. His community involvement also includes volunteer work with Kelowna General Hospital, B.C. Tree fruits, and the B.C. Transit Authority.
- Chrissie Leathley is described as the KGH Foundation’s “ultimate volunteer” who has 77 years of commitment to the hospital. She started her involvement as a student at the Kelowna Hospital School of Nursing in 1935 and was among the group that organized the Kelowna Hospital Auxiliary in 1963. She continues her work on behalf of the hospital and its patients today. Leathley also received medals commemorating the Queen's 25th and 50th years on the throne.
- Thomas Budd is a community leader who created a charitable foundation after retiring as an investment banker in 2008. He has provided more than two-dozen local non-profit societies with funding to support community needs. The Thomas Alan Budd Foundation supports and inspires others to do their best. The foundation also cares for children in other countries through War Child Canada, East Meets West orphanage in India and the Watoto Mission for Children in Uganda.
The commemorative medals have been handed out to 60,000 Canadians across the country.
Former mayor Stuart was out of the country and unavailable for Monday's ceremony.
His medal will be presented once he returns home.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Garage fire quickly knocked down Dec 9
- Thrift store celebrates 10 years strong Dec 9
- Big White Sweater Ball Dec 9
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 9
- Castanet's Week in Review Dec 8
- Kelowna teens 'write for rights' Dec 8
- Paper carrier waits for crucial surgery Dec 8
- Cost of dying going up Dec 8
- Paper carrier sent to VGH Dec 7
- Roses for women's awareness Dec 7