Jan 13, 2013 / 7:07 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A newspaper in Bangladesh says a Canadian student was struck and killed by a train Saturday in Dhaka.
The Daily Star reports the victim's uncle identified her as Mungerina Arabin Jerin, 22, a student at the Medical College for Women and Hospital in the suburb of Uttara.
Abu Bakar Siddique told the newspaper his niece came to the South Asian country last year while her Bangladeshi family remained in Canada.
He said Jerin was taking a walk with a friend near the Cantonment railway station when she was struck around 6:30 p.m. local time.
She was pronounced dead in hospital.
Police say they are speaking to the friend in order to find out exactly what happened.
Read more Canada News
- Senator crashes car on Parliament Hill
- Don't compare Marion Barry to Rob Ford
- Suspended senator becomes reporter
- Town mourns 4 teens killed in crash
- Obese yet healthy a myth says study
- Ont. man arrested for murder of BC man
- Canadian man accused of espionage
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance
- Animal abuse law enforcement lacking
- RCMP arrest man on spying charges