Jan 10, 2013 / 1:12 pm
Authorities in California say an alligator named "Mr. Teeth" that was apparently protecting a stash of marijuana has been taken to Oakland Zoo.
When Alameda County Sheriff's investigators entered 32-year-old Assif Mayar's home on Wednesday afternoon for a probation check, they found not only 34 pounds of marijuana valued at an estimated $100,000 but also a five-foot gator inside a tank in a bedroom.
Sgt. J.D. Nelson says Mr. Teeth was likely used to deter marijuana thieves.
Mayar told investigators he got the gator to commemorate rapper Tupac Shakur's 1996 death.
He was arrested and in jail on suspicion of possessing marijuana for sale.
Officials say Mr. Teeth is very sick and being treated at the zoo's veterinary hospital.
Read more World News
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
- Did North Korea launch missiles?
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
(Click for RSS instructions.)