Jan 10, 2013 / 1:12 pm
Authorities in California say an alligator named "Mr. Teeth" that was apparently protecting a stash of marijuana has been taken to Oakland Zoo.
When Alameda County Sheriff's investigators entered 32-year-old Assif Mayar's home on Wednesday afternoon for a probation check, they found not only 34 pounds of marijuana valued at an estimated $100,000 but also a five-foot gator inside a tank in a bedroom.
Sgt. J.D. Nelson says Mr. Teeth was likely used to deter marijuana thieves.
Mayar told investigators he got the gator to commemorate rapper Tupac Shakur's 1996 death.
He was arrested and in jail on suspicion of possessing marijuana for sale.
Officials say Mr. Teeth is very sick and being treated at the zoo's veterinary hospital.
Read more World News
- Prince Harry's Antarctic race called off
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Thailand crisis deepens
- Progress seen since Typhoon Haiyan
- South Africans hold day of prayer
- Millions of residents hit by storm
- Obama to attend Mandela memorial
- 72nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor
- Egypt court reduces heavy sentences
- Attacks kill 15 in Iraq
- Mandela's state funeral set for Dec. 15
- Hundreds to celebrate pot anniversary
(Click for RSS instructions.)