Jan 9, 2013 / 2:30 pm
A day on Big White turned to tragedy for a man from Winnipeg Tuesday afternoon. The mountain employee died after a snowboarding accident on the hill.
The 22-year-old male, an employee of Snowshoe Sams, was snowboarding with friends in an area called Sapphire Glades which is below the Falcon Chair. The group got separated at approximately 11:30 a.m., later the male was found head-first in a gully/empty creek bed.
He was located by other patrons at approximately 2:30 p.m., ski patrol was called and attended the scene. They initiated life-saving protocols including using a defibrillator. They moved the patient as soon as possible about 200 metres out onto Village Way where they were met by a doctor.
The doctor initiated drug protocols and the group worked on the patient while transporting to the Westridge parking lot where they were met by BC Ambulance.
The two members of the ski patrol, the doctor, and a paramedic worked on the patient while he was being transported to Kelowna General Hospital. He later succumbed to his injuries.
In a statement Big White says they strongly encourage people to ski and board with partners/buddies and if you are going to go off the groomed runs carry a whistle.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Council: New cop shop long overdue Dec 3
- More delays for Grossmith case Dec 3
- Civic award nominations now open Dec 2
- City sand truck has trouble Dec 2
- Court hears drug dealer feared for life Dec 2
- Boparai pleads guilty to threats Dec 2
- Bus hits Jetta; Gordon reopened Dec 2
- Alberta storms affecting flights Dec 2
- Eye in the sky tracks shoplifters Dec 2
- Dix video: BC pays for Liberal lies Dec 1