Jan 8, 2013 / 1:33 pm
It’s a late Christmas present for the UBC Okanagan Heat men’s soccer team, but they’re not complaining.
The team has announced that Alex Lazazzera – a central midfielder who plays a solid all-around game in both attacking and defensive roles – has committed to the school and the team for the upcoming season.
“It is a bit of a coup to get a player of his quality,” says UBC Okanagan head coach Dante Zanatta.
“(We’ve) never had a player this involved in the National Training Centre before. This signing shows the rest of BC and other places that we are recruiting these types of players, that this a good place to come based on the school and the soccer program.”
The 5’10, 150 pound player from Notre Dame Regional Secondary in Vancouver captained his school to a fourth place finish in the 2012 High School Provincial Championships and has already played under Coach Zanatta on the BC Provincial team this past summer.
“He is the type of player that we are looking for: very athletic, very skillful, has a great work rate, very hardworking midfielder that can run from 18 to 18,” explains Zanatta.
“I think he will be a great addition to our program. He can have a very strong career at UBC Okanagan.”
Lazazzera plans to enroll in the Human Kinetics program at UBC Okanagan and Coach Zanatta hopes details can be worked out so Alex can play for his Okanagan Challenge team this summer – a team that will boast many of his future Heat teammates.
The Challenge play in the men’s Premiere Division of the Pacific Coast Soccer League, with a season that runs from the end of April through July. The Heat usually begin their training camp just before the start of August with a season that opens in September.
-- With files from Cary Mellon, UBC Okanagan
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us firstname.lastname@example.org for publication here.
- Wrestling rules changed to keep sport in Olympics
- Stanley Cup Stories: Crosby helps Penguins fly
- Wharnsby: Senators in need of home cooking
- Did You See That? Crosby burns Senators with hat trick
- Knights best Blades in Memorial Cup opener
- Top #hockeynight tweets of the night
- Michael Phelps returning to competitive swimming: report
- Sidney Crosby's hat trick lifts Pens past Senators in Game 2
- Hiroki Kuroda cools Blue Jays bats in New York
- Sharks GM jumps to Raffi Torres's defence
- Don Cherry disagrees with Raffi Torres suspension
- TELUS Break Away Cam: Pick the player you want to see
(Click for RSS instructions.)