Jan 7, 2013 / 9:42 am
WestJet flight 150 heading to Edmonton slid off the apron, a part of the tarmac, while taxiing to a runway for take-off just before 8 a.m.
Jenelle Hynes, Marketing and Media Relations for YLW says, "There are no injuries. Crews used portable staircases to help the passengers off of the plane."
Haynes says the plane was just departing Gate 7 when the incident occurred.
"It slid off the apron on the way to a runway."
WestJet guests will be rebooked on later flights as the aircraft undergoes a mechanical review.
Mike Lowe is waiting at the airport for a flight out.
"I'm in the departure Lounge supposed to be going to Mexico. Our plane has returned to Vancouver and they are canceling others. From what I understand is it slid while taxiing for takeoff. They have now deplaned everyone," says Lowe.
The snow and visibility are also causing some delays and cancelled flights. Check YLW for up to date information.
"There have been short intermittent closures, so crews can clear the runways," says Haynes.
She says the airport is open and suggests travellers check on their flights online.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Holiday magic fills local theatre Dec 4
- Transplant recipients pop in, say thanks Dec 4
- High speed crash into tree Dec 4
- Sudden death in Rutland Dec 4
- Gifts sought for children's X-mas party Dec 4
- Rotary optimistic lights will twinkle Dec 4
- Hero Mountie saves distraught woman Dec 3
- Stuart Park: 'Stay warm my friends' Dec 3
- Mission Creek trees get festive flair Dec 3
- Council: New cop shop long overdue Dec 3