Vernon and North Okanagan
Jan 7, 2013 / 6:00 am
Greater Vernon residents will be going to referendum on April 6 to vote on whether they support long-term borrowing (20 years) to construct a state-of-the-art sports facility.
According to the Regional District's webiste: Due to the lack of a regulation sized track, Greater Vernon can not host the BC Summer Games or BC Senior Games.
The proposed sports facility would enable the community to host these events, as well as provide a facility that could enable the development of elementary and high school track and field teams.
The site will be equipped with lights to a standard for college/tournament level competitions. The artificial turf field will be able to sustain much higher frequency of use than a natural turf field, as well as being useable in poor weather conditions.
The proposed Community Sports Facility is located next to Highway 97 and College Way, adjacent to the parking lot for the Okanagan College Vernon campus.
Facility Construction Cost
The initial facility construction cost is estimated at $7.8 million. Staff is currently looking at options to reduce the initial cost estimate, which could include reducing the scale of items, or phasing items in at a later date.
Like all Greater Vernon parks and facilities, the proposed facility will have an annual cost to operate and maintain it. Maintenance costs have been estimated at $40,000 for site maintenance, which includes natural turf, garbage, security, shower room and bleachers. The maintenance for the artificial turf is estimated at $11,000.
- address the lack of a regulation sized (synthetic) track and athletics facility in Greater Vernon;
- address the need for more sports fields and programming time; and support the Polson Park Redevelopment Plan
To find out more about the referendum click here.
Below is the conceptual drawing of the field.
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Salmon Arm home invasion Dec 3
- Icy roads keep Salmon Arm RCMP busy Dec 3
- CN confirms interest in rail line Dec 3
- Two cats perish in mobile home fire Dec 2
- Expired car insurance leads to pot bust Dec 2
- Icy road accidents began this weekend Dec 2
- Weather playing havoc on drivers Dec 2