Jan 3, 2013 / 7:25 pm
On January 3, just before 2 p.m. Whistler Pemberton RCMP received a call from a person who witnessed a train derailment between Whistler and Pemberton.
A north bound CN Rail train derailed on an overpass approximately 10 km. south of Pemberton. Three empty rail cars derailed with one falling from the overpass blocking Highway 99 below.
The highway was closed while the damage was assessed and then re-opened to single lane alternating traffic at 3:45 p.m.
It is expected that the roadway will remain single lane alternating until at least the morning of January 4 when it is expected the remaining rail cars can be removed. Those people travelling between Whistler and Pemberton are advised to allow extra time for their journey.
There were no injuries as a result of this incident however one vehicle suffered some minor damage from flying debris. The cause of the incident remains under investigation
Read more BC News
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
- Search for BC teen continues
(Click for RSS instructions.)