Jan 1, 2013 / 1:20 pm
The New York New Year's 2012 family event in Kelowna was a big success, according to organizers.
"Our goal at Festivals Kelowna was to add something new to our event landscape. Add something that has the potential to grow over the years if more partners jump on board," said Ryan Donn, program coordinator for Festivals Kelowna. "The community responded resoundingly. To have over 3,000 attendees at our inaugural NYE event is a testament that it was something the community wanted.
We hope that a new Kelowna tradition was born last night."
The free, family-friendly, event at Jim Stuart Park was similar to “First Night” celebrations in other communities.
It included live musical performances, special lighting effects, a New Year's countdown and fireworks show.
Donn also thanked everyone who played a part in the inaugural event including the bands, volunteers, attendees, and sponsors.
Organizers also welcomed any thoughts that will build on the success of this year's event. (email any comments/feedback to email@example.com)
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- City to test family alcohol zone Jun 18
- Missing teenager has been found Jun 17
- Attempted murder charges laid Jun 17
- Gas leak capped on Borden Ave. Jun 17
- Wiens trial to resume in July Jun 17
- Room to grow - hotel tax continues Jun 17
- Sugar closes sorting plant Jun 17
- Assault sends one man to hospital Jun 17
- Memory card looking for a home Jun 17
- Firetrucks off to Peru Jun 17