Jan 1, 2013 / 1:20 pm
The New York New Year's 2012 family event in Kelowna was a big success, according to organizers.
"Our goal at Festivals Kelowna was to add something new to our event landscape. Add something that has the potential to grow over the years if more partners jump on board," said Ryan Donn, program coordinator for Festivals Kelowna. "The community responded resoundingly. To have over 3,000 attendees at our inaugural NYE event is a testament that it was something the community wanted.
We hope that a new Kelowna tradition was born last night."
The free, family-friendly, event at Jim Stuart Park was similar to “First Night” celebrations in other communities.
It included live musical performances, special lighting effects, a New Year's countdown and fireworks show.
Donn also thanked everyone who played a part in the inaugural event including the bands, volunteers, attendees, and sponsors.
Organizers also welcomed any thoughts that will build on the success of this year's event. (email any comments/feedback to [email protected])
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Bike shop delivers early present Dec 18
- Come visit Candy Cane Lane Dec 17
- Wendy's dreamlift day Dec 17
- Further delays in Bacon shooting case Dec 17
- Old rental work shop survives fire Dec 16
- Labour dispute ends at FortisBC Dec 16
- Glenmore firefighters food drive tonight Dec 16
- Cora rebuilds after fire Dec 16
- Catch of the day bigger than expected Dec 16
- Vandals target school, elderly couple Dec 16