Jan 1, 2013 / 7:35 am
Authorities say at least 61 people were killed early Tuesday in a stampede following a New Year's fireworks display in Abidjan, Ivory Coast's commercial centre.
State radio and a fire department rescue worker, who refused to give his name, estimated that an additional 200 people were injured in the Plateau district of Abidjan at about 4 a.m.
The emergency worker said a crowd of thousands gathered at the Houphouet Boigny Stadium to see the fireworks and after the display the crowds in the street became a crush in which people were trampled.
Read more World News
- Biden in Beijing amidst tension
- Train engineer sleepy at the controls
- Band of Brothers soldier dies in NJ at 90
- Thai violence eases for king's birthday
- Texas executes convicted murderer
- Trapped underwater for 3 days
- Ferry theft leads to security review
- Iceland's 'first ever' fatal police shooting
- Bob Dylan handed preliminary charges
- Man dies after shark bites his foot in Maui
- Train going too fast at curve before crash
- Safety review after ferry commandeered
(Click for RSS instructions.)