Jan 1, 2013 / 7:35 am
Authorities say at least 61 people were killed early Tuesday in a stampede following a New Year's fireworks display in Abidjan, Ivory Coast's commercial centre.
State radio and a fire department rescue worker, who refused to give his name, estimated that an additional 200 people were injured in the Plateau district of Abidjan at about 4 a.m.
The emergency worker said a crowd of thousands gathered at the Houphouet Boigny Stadium to see the fireworks and after the display the crowds in the street became a crush in which people were trampled.
Read more World News
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- French gay marriage law signed
- Pope decries banks over people
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
(Click for RSS instructions.)