Jan 1, 2013 / 6:34 am
The Kelowna Fire Department responded to a house fire on Dickson Ave. just before 3 a.m.
Upon arrival crews found flames and smoke coming from a small window in the living room of a duplex house.
The lone male occupant was asleep and was woken up by his smoke detector. He smelled and called 911, he and his dog escaped through his bedroom window.
Three engines, 1 Rescue, 1 Command Unit and 15 firefighters responded to the scene with assistance from BCAS, RCMP, and FortisBC.
Fire crews were able to contain fire to the living room area with minimal damage. Cause of fire has been determined to be clothing and window curtains above the gas fire place. Damage is estimated at $10,000.
Platoon Captain, Dale Calhoun says, "Tonight a male occupant and his dog are alive due to properly maintained smoke detectors. The Kelowna Fire Department reminds residents to test smoke alarms regularly."
Send photos and video to [email protected]
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Jail for man who beat his grandfather Dec 7
- Another transit driver assaulted Dec 6
- Kelowna taxpayers face hike Dec 6
- Tree of Memories honours loved ones Dec 5
- Santa goes hog wild with toy donations Dec 5
- Women's shelter launches text campaign Dec 5
- Neighbourhood crime map Dec 5
- Yacht club build behind schedule Dec 5
- New services to 'Bridge' gap for addicts Dec 5
- Powder chair now open at Big White Dec 5