Dec 31, 2012 / 12:31 pm
PARKSVILLE, B.C. - Mounties on Vancouver Island say one person is dead following a fire that destroyed a local home.
The fire broke out late Sunday afternoon in Nanoose, a community located north of Nanaimo, B.C.
Police say family members confirmed 85-year-old Beatrice Sharock resided alone in the residence and was in the home the night before the blaze.
They say firefighters discovered a body inside the residence this morning.
Police say there's no indication of foul play or that the fire was suspicious in nature, but officers, firefighters and the BC Coroners Service are continuing their investigation.
Read more BC News
- Man and woman hurt in double shooting
- Pipeline spill southwest of Merritt
- Charges laid in skateboard assault case
- Pipeline backlash following latest spill
- Crash of small plane claims lone pilot
- Woman gives birth at Richmond mall
- Pin pad fraud
- Malaysian company to invest $16B
- Premier's first priority? Raises for staff
- Charges approved against 229 in riot
- RCMP seeking stolen dirtbike
- Okanagan prepares for invasive species
(Click for RSS instructions.)