Dec 31, 2012 / 12:31 pm
PARKSVILLE, B.C. - Mounties on Vancouver Island say one person is dead following a fire that destroyed a local home.
The fire broke out late Sunday afternoon in Nanoose, a community located north of Nanaimo, B.C.
Police say family members confirmed 85-year-old Beatrice Sharock resided alone in the residence and was in the home the night before the blaze.
They say firefighters discovered a body inside the residence this morning.
Police say there's no indication of foul play or that the fire was suspicious in nature, but officers, firefighters and the BC Coroners Service are continuing their investigation.
Read more BC News
- Grand theft vessel after ferry stolen
- Family of five submerged in river
- Highway 1 reopened
- Victim identified in Vancouver homicide
- Man arrested after calling 9-1-1 for help
- Hunter found after cold BC night
- 60-year-old shot and killed
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
- Temperatures to drop next week
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
(Click for RSS instructions.)