Dec 20, 2012 / 7:04 am
Animal rescue officials in South Africa say they found a toad from China hidden inside a porcelain candlestick.
The Star newspaper of South Africa quoted animal expert Brett Glasby in Cape Town saying that workers had to break the candlestick to get the toad out. He said the toad, an Asian Common Toad, can slow its breathing and heart rate to survive times of drought, likely aiding it to survive the voyage.
Workers fed the hungry toad worms and crickets after freeing it.
The animal is not endangered.
Read more World News
- Hezbollah vows to keep fighting in Syria
- Woman mauled by chimp can't sue state
- Early results in Iran presidential election
- Newtown, Conn: six months later
- Boston woman pays $560K to park
- 2 found dead from Colo. wildfire
- Chemical plant explosion kills 1, 70 hurt
- Nazi SS commander found in Minnesota
- Syria's Assad used chemical weapons
- Colorado wildfire destroys 360 homes
- 93,000 confirmed killed in Syrian conflict
- 18-inch reptile found relaxing in puddle
(Click for RSS instructions.)